Sunday, November 23, 2008

20 Questions with Anthony Roe of Awaken Clothing

Are you awake? Awaken is an up and coming clothing and design company that is not about being another Myspace clothing company. I recently preordered the new "Beauty At Its Best" shirt and made it a priority to ask Anthony Roe, the very insightful mastermind behind Awaken, a few questions about his brand.

What does the name Awaken mean to you?
Oh wow. This is kind of a hard one for me to answer actually. But i was sitting in church about a year and a half ago before i started my company. and i was still stuck in the mindset of wanting to be in a band. so i was trying to think of cool ways to incorporate the word Awaken into a band name. well about 2-3 days went by, and i hadn't come up with anything. But Awaken was still sticking with me. so i decided to build on the foundation of art that i had already lived out my whole life and start Awaken Clothing. As for the "meaning" behind it...it really can go in any way that fits your life/thinking/etc. Whatever you need to wake up to and realize to better yourself i hope that my companies name makes that happen. And grabs your attention. sorry i don't have a real cool story behind it.

That's rather deep. How did the clothing line come into existence?
Well, I've been into drawing since i was about 4 actually. So art has always served as a huge part of my life. I've always seen things through a mature and graphical perspective. So now that I'm older and wanting clothing that fits to my needs/wants it just seems right to do it myself. I was also pretty fed up with all of the current fads in the clothing industry. So I'm hoping to breathe a breath of fresh air into it somehow.

How has your brand changed from when you first started out?
First word that comes to mind is DRASTICALLY! Even though when i first started out i was trying to break away from some of the trends that were already in place, i wasn't confident enough to really branch out and break them. But with my recent addition of the "Beauty At Its Best" design i feel that it has changed my image a lot! That design was purely inspired by things i love (nature, stars, and just the beauty of the earth around us)So i would definitely have to say that I'm taking more risks by not sticking with the cliche/worn out fads just because i think they'll sell, and keep me in a comfort zone.

What are some of the design trends that you were tired of seeing that you have vowed not to ever comform to?
I did NOT want to stick to the bright colors, and large text based designs that just looked like i laid it out in notepad with times new roman, that was seriously my first words that i vowed NOT to do. Recently, i've vowed not to go with the fad of.....cheesy phrases on tees, or coloring book looking designs that look like a 4 year old did them. I mean come on, what self respecting adult wants to run around with that on their shirts they've designed?

I always wondered about that coloring book style! What have been some of your biggest challenges for growing Awaken?
ha ha. so have many of us in the design community. we would all like to see it dead! lol oh wow. biggest challenges......I'd say one of the biggest challenges right off was the immediate hate that my hometown gained for me when i started my company. I wont expound upon the story, but that was a bit of a struggle to deal with. But if they still hate me for starting what i have then that's cool, I'm bigger than that to hold stupid grudges. Um. My second biggest challenge had to have been dropping out of college. I went for one year, and Awaken started devouring all of my time, so i prayed about the decision and felt i was lead to come down the path of making this full time. That was definitely a test of faith, and a test to multiple areas of my life, my relationship with my g/f, my parents, and many other things (full story at my blog.)Awaken has definitely been something that was on the verge of being called quits at times due to the challenges that i faced. But I'm very thankful I've stuck with my dreams and had faith in this. It's definitely been a learning experience to say the least!

Sometimes you just have to go with what God gives you I think. Speaking of things that God gives you...I read that the cancer benefit tee was made for your mother who was diagnosed with breast cancer. Can you explain to the readers why you decided to make it and why you only printed 50?
Oh yes, i am definitely a firm believer in that! Ah, the "Mighty Warrior" tee. I was out with my girlfriend one day and my mom give me a call telling me that she had been diagnosed with Breast Cancer. Well anytime you hear that word it just sends a terror through you. So i kept thinking about things that i could do for her, and the only thing that really stuck with me was just loving her, and being there for her with my support/care as i always have been. And in those thoughts an idea came about to use the creative outlets that i have at my fingertips to show her that she has my support, and that she is a Mighty Warrior for fighting through this without showing a sign of weakness. She ended up loving it, and it was a big motivation/boost for her! Only 50 were made because I only really wanted a select group of people to have the shirts to be honest. And the group that have really went after these shirts are the people that know us/her, or the ones that i talk with online a lot and know the story. This design was released with a special meaning, so i feel like printing a limited number of them makes it seems less like 'just another product' ya know?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Yeah. Roughly how many tees have you sold since you released it?
Hm, i think around 20 of them have been sold. I haven't really gotten around to talking about it that much to people, simply because of how busy I've been lately.

I know what that's like. So I understand that Awaken Clothing is one of two companies you own and operate yourself. Can you tell us a little about your other company and its current status?
Yes, Awaken is not just a clothing company, but i run a full time design company as well (Awaken Design Company) The status of Awaken Design Company is absolutely wild all the time haha. I juggle between a minimum of 7 projects a week, lately it's been more. I have just recently started getting my name out there a lot more, and made my way into hot topic locations both online and in physical stores with one of my designs. So things are definitely progressing!

What has been your favorite project so far?
Hmmm....that is really hard to say. The most exciting project so far is definitely the Metro Station design. And it's been one of the most rewarding ones as well! My favorite project that i have completed recently is probably the Awaken Online Store, but deeming a favorite overall project is a very hard thing to say.

Haha well since you've brought up hot topic and the metro station design I might as well ask you the question specifically regarding it: Your metro station shirt design was recently put into hot topic stores. How did you accomplish this and what were your exact feelings that came over you when you saw it up on the famous wall of shirts?
It's all about knowing the right people haha. I used to hear that SO much from everyone, and it's such a frustrating answer to hear. But it really is all about getting your name in with the people who can make things happen. And that's what happened there. The feeling would best be described as ecstatic. I would always walk in there and see designs mainly by Kyle Crawford (Electric Zombie) and dream of being on "the wall". And when it finally happened i was just in awe.

haha it's like that in the industry I'm working with as well. Our role model Rossstar told me "it's 90% connections and money and 10% talent" Can you elaborate on how knowing the right people made things happen?
I want to expound on this a bit, and add something in here...You have to really work your butt off 24/7 basically, and get your name out there in anyway that you can to make it ANYWHERE in this industry. It's definitely not for the people who want to hear that everything they do is perfect and ready to be sent to Underoath's merch booth. You gotta know the right people that are in charge of getting designers in place for the bands, or you wont have a chance with getting your stuff seen. So i guess just getting in contact in a professional way and making a strong/positive influence is the only way to really make things happen. It's all really up to them if you get seen or not. hope that answered that question somehow.

What sets your brand apart from every other clothing line?
I think just the fact that I'm really trying to strive for something that i, myself love and not something that is 'the cool thing to wear' is really starting to mold an image for my company. also that I'm running it as a business, and not just another myspace clothing company that is selling the shirts for the cost of a blank tee out of the American Apparel store, and sponsoring a ton of bands so i can get "famous" or whatever. I think a lot of things set it apart, and definitely will continue to.

I really hate the ones who are only in it for fame and fortune...and they're usually the ones who don't connect with their customers. Where does the inspiration usually come from when designing shirts?
oh yes, it drives me up a wall as well. if you're not going to connect with your customers and establish relationships with them (for non-money reasons as well) then they're something wrong haha. inspiration for my tees actually come from nature/starry skies almost 99% of the time.

For sure I can't tell you how many of those companies who contact us to buy from them but won't hold a decent conversation unless I plan on giving them money.Which brings us to the design of beauty at its best. Can you tell us a little about how it was designed?

Yeah that's pretty lame and unfortunate.The 'Beauty' tee had been an idea for quite awhile! i absolutely love stary night skies as i said, and i really wanted to capture it somehow in a shirt. So i just focused a lot on very neutral colors that were not bold at all, and just tried to make it look as pretty and relaxing as possible.

Well i can tell you it's absolutely breath taking and I can't wait to get mine! Beauty at its best was recently on pre-sale for $17 and freebies were also offered as an incentive. When promoting your brand what do you feel works best?
Aw, thanks a ton! I'm definitely glad to hear that this was a good design in your eyes, and not just mine. Yeah, freebies and making the customer feel like they have options (ie. hoodies, girly sizes, etc.) are great incentives for getting more sales. Also just being enthused about what you're doing really goes a long way to a customer or anyone for that matter. That a great way to promote, because then they'll look into what is making you excited. There are all sorts of promotional things that i do, but those are a few that i really focus on.



Image and video hosting by TinyPic



The enthusiasm definately got me I must say. There's nothing better than someone who has created something and is excited about it. How have all the resources offered today such trade shows and myspace helped your brand?
I have actually never been to a trade show, or set up at a music show. My first concert where I'll be selling at is actually in January. So we'll see how that goes. But as far as myspace goes. It has actually helped a lot. Of course you have a lot of people that will give you the "yeah d00d imma buy that fasho" and they never do. But I've established a lot of awesome relationships with customers through myspace. It's brought a lot of sales. Emptees.com has also served as a HUGE resource for me to advertise through! i love those dudes over there, and their support has helped me grow so much!

What are some of your favorite brands out right now (besides Awake of course)?
Hm, i would have to save I'm really digging Linty Fresh, Electric Zombie, and a line called Timber.

Linty Fresh, I've heard, is a very successful brand because of how they really make an effort to connect with their customers, as far as your clothing brand, what would you say has lead to the overall success of Awaken Clothing?
Yeah Eric of Linty Fresh really puts loads of work into his company, and into helping out the industry which we're all in. So he hads loads of success/respect! I think just sticking with it even when things weren't easy and putting all of my heart/mind into the ideas for designs/new products. And one of the main things that has brought the 'success' is working non-stop like i always do.

Well you know what they say: Hard work and determination will take a man very far. Where do you see the company's direction going in the next to 5-10 years?
I have some long term goals for Awaken that i would like to see happen for sure. But it's kind of hard to wrap my head around what it will really be like in that many years. Because within the next year i am going to be married, so my main focus is going to be providing for my wife and future family. But i will share a couple of goals....i would like to work for more big bands, release at least 1-2 products a month, and print all of my own material. So we'll see how this works with the new lifestyle I'm going to be adapting to.

What are some of your short term goals for the next 5 years?
Within 1-2 years i would like to start printing some of my simpler tees. I would also like to have releases happen way more often. And have an actual office to run things out of.

What is the most important thing you have learned in this business?
To only dive in if you have a true passion for it! And that it requires a LOT of time/patience to actually succeed.

What advice can you give others on building a strong clothing line like Awaken?
First off just really care about what you're doing, and DONT do it because its the cool thing to have a myspace tee shirt company. And really develop a strong set of designs for your first few releases. It's better to start out strong and build your image on that, then starting out as another mediocre company and trying to redeem yourself from that status. And if you're not able to put out strong designs at first but you aspire to one day, just hire a designer to do them for you, there is no shame in that at all! Also be prepared to spend ALOT of money starting up. a strong line is not developed by being a cheapo and skimping on paying a designer/printer what they're worth!

Well Anthony that's 20 questions. Is there anything you'd like to say to conclude this interview?
Well i definitely enjoyed answering everything, and i hope that it helped you and the readers to develop a stronger understanding of the industry as well as my company. There are so many things i know that i missed in this, so if anyone wants to know anything else i am always here to talk to. My email address is: anthonyroe@awakendesigncompany.com. I'm constantly checking it. Also, i just want to thank you and all of the people out there who support Awaken.The support is definitely amazing,and i wouldn't be where i am today without it!

No comments:

Post a Comment