Tuesday, November 11, 2008

20 Questions with Dj Rossstar

We usually don't interview people without scheduling a week in advanced, but this interview was too good to pass up. Purely Gangster Radio would have never been been born without the help of this guy. Catch Dj Rossstar's Punk Rock Show every Wednesday and Thursday on Stickam at 7pm PST.

Choose: ipod or radio?
Radio

Hosting or interviewing?
Tough one. I'd say both.

Recorded or live?
Live baby!

How did you get the name Rossstar?
My ex-girlfriend typed Ross Star in my phone years ago because it sounded like Rock Star. I combined the two and it stuck.

Can you give us a one line bio?
DJ Rossstar is an online personality who created his own live show in 2002 and has since interviewed over 500 bands in his LA apartment.

As a child, did you dream of doing what you do now?
Absolutely. Although I dreamed of doing it on television, which is what I am still aiming for.

How did you get your start?
I started with my own college radio show and I would go to shows with my tape recorder and ask bands for quick interviews.

Who did you look up to as a role model then? Now?
Green Day have always been my role models because their music taught me how to be an individual and believe in myself.

I saw that video on your page with you on stage at a Green Day concert that must've been a big thing for you. Do you get starstruck?
I never get starstruck during an interview and with Green Day, I'm just happy that I've been able to talk with them a few times and that they know how much their music means to me.

How do you prepare for your shows?
I clean my bedroom, set up my equipment, post bulletins, get hyped!

Why do you think people return each week to watch/listen to your show? What do you feel brings them back each week?
I feel that the interaction is what brings them back. Whether they are familiar with the guest or not, this is the only show that allows them to talk with them directly.

What do you like best about having your show include audience participation?
The idea that anyone around the World can have their personal questions answered, and this may be the only chance they get.

How much do you think broadcasting from the comfort of your home and opening up audience interaction in your show contributes to your growing audience number?
I think the realness of it all is what draws viewers. Bands love coming to my house because he pressure is off and they can be themselves.

How do you find and contact the guests you feature?
I find them all myself and book the myself, although some times managers will contact me if they have bands coming to LA.

Who has been your favorite guest so far and why?
My favorite guests have been the ones that made me laugh, the ones who entertained. Some that come to mind are All Time Low, Sugarcult, Less Than Jake, Cute is What We Aim For and Saosin.

Who are 3 bands you would like to feature on your show who you haven't already?
Green Day, Rancid and Sum 41

What's currently playing on your ipod?
I don't own an ipod.

Awesome, neither do I. What was the last physical cd you bought?
Um, bayside - shudder (second best record of 2008)

Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years?
In five years on television hosting shows. In ten years on both television, radio, web and whatever else they invent.

What advice do you have for people (like PGR-Vanessa and I) aspiring to do what you do?
Try your hardest, but also realize that you need money to survive and should always have a 'real' job on the side so you can pay your bills and continue your passion. Too many people put all their time into one project and if it doesn't work out they end up back home with the parents.

Well Rossstar, we've hit 20 questions. Is there anything you'd like to say to conclude this interview?
Thanks for challenging my brain this fine afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment